In accordance with the mission, vision, and values of the Saskatchewan Health Authority and Mental Health and Addictions services, reporting to the Director of Family Services the Occupational Therapist Degree will provide direct clinical Occupational Therapy services to children with Autism (ASD). These services will include individual, group and family education, assertive outreach, case management, and public education/consultation. The incumbent shall function within the practice principles of the Mental Health and Addictions Services' program management model and is accountable for delivery of services to children with autism and their families in the former Five Hills Health Region.
- Bachelor Degree in Occupational Therapy
- Ability to conduct a mental health assessment of a client including obtaining collateral information from caregivers and families.
- A minimum of a baccalaureate degree in Occupational Therapy or Physical Therapy
- Ability to travel to urban and rural areas required
- Valid Saskatchewan driver�s license and access to a reliable vehicle
Bachelor degree in Occupational Therapy from a Canadian Association of Occupational Therapy accredited facility.
Registration or eligible for registration with Canadian Association of Occupational Therapist and/or the Saskatchewan Society of Occupational Therapists.
2 years experience working with children with autism recommended
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions
- Ability to conduct client assessments and engage in effective treatment planning
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively and work flexible hours
- Ability to demonstrate professional conduct and judgement and ethical behaviour
- Ability to effectively handle a large caseload, be a self-starter
- ASD specific clinical knowledge, skills and experience
- Ability to communicate and collaborate as part of an interdisciplinary planning group
- Ability to be self-directed, creative, and collaborative, in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated above average clinical assessment skills, case planning, consultation and supervision
Plans, implements, and evaluates a treatment program to maximize the client's level of function. Maintains accurate, up-to-date client records and statistics
Use Outcome Measurements and statistical data to monitor client progress and the quality of service provided
Adheres to safety standards; continually alert to safety when handling clients in the work environment
Using an integrated family centered approach and working collaboratively with other involved agency personnel, provides responsive and accessible direct clinical and case management support for families in the ASD program.
In collaboration with the integrated team, assess client needs and develop program goals.
Work collaboratively with staff from MHAS and other community agencies in a team approach to address needs of complex individuals and families
Design and conduct educational seminars, consultation, and in-service training aimed at increasing knowledge and skills on autism for client groups, staff, and other community members.
Identify needs and opportunities to enhance the skill development of caregivers in community settings. Specifically, the incumbent shall provide consultation services to other agencies providing services to children with ASD.
Apply legal principles and cultural sensitivity in clinical practice.
Participate and contribute to continuous quality improvement activities
Organize and manage work assignments, including maintaining files and records according to current policies, protocols and standards within Mental Health & Addictions Services
Participate in meetings and conferences for the purpose of treatment planning, program planning, in-service training and other matters relating to professional development
Geographic Location: Cubiak Hall Grandview St. Moose Jaw
Expected Start Date: April 8, 2019
Expected Up To Date: January 3, 2020
This posting will remain Open until Filled.
Working in Canada
Candidates are required to be legally entitled to work in Canada to apply on this position.
Direct Inquiries To